Swappie Trade-In Terms and Conditions
These terms and conditions apply to Swappie Trade-In -service provided by Swappie for consumer customers. If You are not a consumer customer, please contact us at [email protected]
With Swappie Trade-in you can sell your old Phone, to help cover the cost of a new one. By selling your Phone to Swappie, You agree to be bound by the terms and conditions set out herein. Please make sure You have read and understood these terms and conditions before selling Your Phone to Swappie.
“Swappie” refers to Swappie Oy (business ID 2692328-4, address Itämerenkatu 3 A, 00180 Helsinki, Finland).
“You” refers to the seller of the Phone to Swappie in.
“Phone” refers to the iPhone device being sold by You to Swappie.
“Terms” refers to these terms and conditions.
“Service” refers to the Swappie Trade-In -service provided by Swappie on Swappie’s webpage.
“Payment” refers to the payment You receive from Swappie for the Phone sold to Swappie.
“Day” refers to a business day. Weekends and public holidays are not considered business days.
“FMI” refers to the Find My iPhone feature in Apple iPhones.
“IMEI” refers to the International Mobile Equipment Identity.
By assigning your Phone to the Service, You agree to be bound by these Terms.
You are obligated to give Your full contact information when utilising the Service, including Your name, billing and shipping address, active telephone number and email address. You are solely responsible for the accuracy of the information You provide Swappie and are liable for any and all costs caused by giving incorrect contact information.
By using the Service, You confirm that You are the owner of the Phone(s) and have the full right to sell and profit from it. If You’re willing to sell more than 5 Phones at the same time, Swappie reserves the right to ask for further details regarding the ownership of the Phones.
By using the Service, You confirm that You are of the required legal age to sell and profit from the Phone(s) You attempt to sell to Swappie. If You are under the required legal age, You have obtained Your parent’s or guardian’s consent to sell Your Phone(s) to Swappie.
- How the Service works
When You choose to trade-in in connection to a device purchase, You will receive an estimate of the trade-in value of the Phone. At the checkout, You will see the price of the device You are ordering and below it an estimate of what will be the total price for the new device, once You have delivered the trade-in Phone to Swappie. At this point You are obligated to pay the full amount for Your order.
With Your order Swappie will send you a trade-in kit, free of charge. The trade-in kit contains a shipping label and a secure package to ship Your old Phone to us free of charge. You have 14 days to send your old Phone to Swappie in accordance with the instructions provided to You. You are responsible for packing the Phone in a careful and protective manner before sending it to Swappie. The Phone is to be sent to us at the address and via the delivery service provider and manner specified in the instructions. You are responsible for the Phone until it has been delivered to Swappie.
Swappie will pay you for the Phone admitted to the Service after the Phone has been delivered to Swappie. The value of the Phone is calculated based on the Phone’s model, memory and condition. Once the Phone is received, Swappie will inspect the Phone and verify its condition. If the Phone corresponds to Your description, Swappie will transfer You the Payment equivalent to the previously given estimate within 5 days of receiving the Phone. Once the Payment for the Phone has been forwarded to You, You have released your right to pursue any claims regarding the ownership of the device. After this, You do not have the right to demand the admitted Phone back.
If the Phone does not match the condition described by You upon admitting the Phone to the Service, we will send you an updated offer for the Phone via email. You can choose to accept the new offer or receive the Phone back for free. If You choose to decline the new offer, You waive any rights to be compensated for the Phone in relation to the Service.
- Conditions for Phones purchased by Swappie
Swappie does not buy Phones that are water damaged, bent, have problems suggestive of motherboard issues, have a faulty Touch ID, have the FMI (Find My iPhone) feature on, have non-functional Face ID or True Tone, have an irreparable crack in the Home button, Phones that have been manufactured for Japan, China or Middle Eastern countries, or Phones that have been previously disassembled and reassembled with non-original Apple spare parts.
Swappie does not buy stolen Phones. We will check the legal status of the Phone from the internationally compiled CheckMEND database. Phones that are discovered to be Blacklisted will be automatically returned to You (Exceptions, Section A).
The Phone must be an original Apple product.
Requirements of an Almost New Phone
- All the features of an Almost New Phone must be fully functional.
- The body of the Phone must be intact and not cracked or showing any signs of use.
- All intact Phones must adhere to the following criteria:
- The Phone must turn on and off normally.
- The Phone has a battery, and back cover/glass with no scratches.
- The Phone must not be water or fire damaged.
- The screen must be intact and fully functional, and it must not contain cracks, any bright spots, darker areas or other color blotches.
- The Phone must not be bent.
- The Phone must have all original parts in it.
- The Phone’s biometric sensor (Touch ID / Face ID) must work.
- The screen glass, frame and touch screen sensor are intact.
- The display frame must correspond to the original, e.g. a model of a particular color must have a display matching that color.
Definition of a Broken Phone
The screen glass and/or touch screen is broken or the display has dead pixels. In addition, the Phone may also have other faults from the following list:
- A faulty battery (the Phone does not turn on).
- The Phone’s screen is loose.
- There is no sound coming from the speakers or when an AUX plug is connected to the Phone.
- One or more of the microphones do not work.
- The home, volume, mute, or power button does not work or works poorly.
- The front camera does not work or works poorly.
- The back camera does not work or works poorly (focus issues, shakiness, or visible dark spots in the rear lens).
- The rear or front camera lens is cracked.
- The proximity sensor does not work.
- The back glass and/or frame is cracked.
- There is a software error showing on the “Hello” screen (e.g. with iPhones iTunes won’t connect to the Phone or reset factory settings).
- The charging port is faulty (the Phone does not charge or the port is loose/ malformed).
- The Phone does not recognise SIM cards.
- The vibration does not work.
- The Phone has missing parts.
- The force touch feature does not work.
- The camera flash does not work.
- The Phone is able to charge, but it does not connect to a computer (“No data” fault).
- If the replacement screen of the Phone does not meet Swappie’s standards or is not an original.
Note! Even if the iPhone is completely broken, it may still have a sale value if the motherboard is undamaged.
Definition of a Recyclable Phone
By default, a Phone that cannot be categorized in any of the aforementioned condition categories will fall into the category of Recyclable. More specifically, if the Phone presents one or more of the following faults, it will automatically be graded as Recyclable:
- The Phone shows problems suggestive of motherboard issues:
- The Phone does not connect to the network (WiFi).
- The Phone does not record audio files in any format.
- The “No service” message on the cellular indicator is showing permanently.
- The Phone has non-functional GPS / Compass (“Gyro”).
- If for iPhone models XR, XS and above the battery is replaced by a third party and displays the“Important Battery Message”.
- The Phone is water damaged.
- The Phone is bent.
- The Phone has a non-functional Touch ID, Face ID or True Tone.
- Bluetooth does not work.
- For iPhone models 11 and above, if the screen is not original and shows the “Important Display Message”.
- Wireless charging does not work.
- The Home button is cracked.
- The Phone is operator locked. Operator-locked Phones cannot be purchased by Swappie. Swappie can offer €5 to recycle them. Swappie cannot act on Your behalf and contact the operator in order to unlock the Phone, due to Swappie’s GDPR agreement.
- The Phone is an iPhone 7 Model A1660.
For iPhone models 6s Plus, SE (2016), 6s and below, Swappie does not offer any compensation, regardless of the state of the Phone.
- Blacklisted Phones
If the Phone is found to have a record that indicates it has been lost or stolen, or Swappie becomes aware of any other issues related to its ownership (e.g. Blacklisted), Swappie will notify You by email and quarantine the Phone for an initial period of 14 days (“the Quarantine Period”). Payment for the Phone will be withheld by Swappie until the CheckMEND record does not show the Phone as stolen or lost.
In such circumstances ,You will be required to contact the seller, the store, the carrier provider or the third party that sold You the Phone to prove that You are the rightful owner of the Phone, have the lost or stolen records associated with it cleared within the Quarantine Period, and resolve any other issues relating to its ownership.
If during the Quarantine Period the Phone is cleared in the CheckMEND database and any other issues related to ownership have been resolved, Your sale will be processed and paid for as normal.
However, if the Phone is not cleared in the CheckMEND database within the Quarantine Period, Swappie will either hold onto the mobile Phone or device, hand it over to the police or other law enforcement body, dispose of it or return it directly to You, and by entering into this contract, You expressly agree to this action. You will not receive any Payment if such steps are taken.
Swappie cannot under any circumstances pay for a Phone which is lost, stolen or recorded as such unless endorsed in writing by CheckMEND and by such You agree to pay any return costs involved.
If You have received Payment from Swappie for a Phone, which Swappie subsequently becomes aware of an issue relating to ownership, You agree to immediately reimburse Swappie in full, within 3 business days following a written request by Swappie, for any such payment pending an investigation by Swappie or any law enforcement body into the ownership of the Phone.
If Swappie at any time becomes aware of any issues relating to the ownership of the Phone, You agree to cooperate with Swappie fully with a view to resolving the issue. This may or may not require contact with the police and/or other law enforcement authorities.
- MDM (Mobile Device Management) locked Phones
MDM-locked Phones refer to the condition of a mobile device that is corporate-owned and is monitored and managed by corporate security software, normally a company or corporation. MDM-locked devices cannot be purchased by Swappie under any circumstances, because You do not own the rights to sell or profit from the device. The device will be directly sent back to You on Swappie’s account. However, should there be any reasonable doubt that You knew about the status of the Phone when submitting the order, Swappie reserves the right to charge You for the delivery costs
- Terms and Conditions of the order
For the terms and conditions applicable to Your order on Swappie’s website, please click here. Those terms and conditions apply to all orders placed by consumer customers with Swappie on the Swappie website. There You will also find terms applicable to the warranty of Your order.
- Limitation of liability
Nothing in these Terms shall exclude or limit Swappie’s liability with regard to any matter for which it would be unlawful for us to limit or exclude our liability.
Swappie is not liable for any indirect costs which are a side effect of the main loss or damage, for example loss of profits or loss of opportunity; or for failure to deliver the products or to meet any of our other obligations under these Terms where such failure is due to an event that is beyond our reasonable control, which includes but is not limited to fire, flood, storm, riot, civil disturbance, war, nuclear accident, terrorist activity, strikes, epidemics or quarantine. Swappie’s maximum liability to You for any loss or damage arising in connection with the Service shall be limited to the total price of the Phone or Your order.
The product liability for defects is limited to the possible refund of the purchase price of the product minus the benefits received. Swappie has the right to update prices in accordance with the current market price changes.
Swappie does not provide original purchase receipts from the original owner of the phone and is not liable to do so.
- Changes to the Terms & Conditions
We reserve the right to amend these Terms from time to time without prior notice to You.
- Applicable law and dispute resolution
These Terms are governed by Finnish law. In case of complaints, please contact Swappie at [email protected] or +353 1 903 8690. If You are not satisfied with Swappie’s resolution to Your complaint, You may seek advice from the Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority. Any disputes, controversies or claims arising out of or relating to these Terms shall be settled in the Helsinki District Court.
- Contact details
Itämerenkatu 3 A
00180 Helsinki, Finland
Business ID: 2692328-4
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +353 1 903 8690