General Terms and Conditions
Please read these terms carefully before selling Your Phone to Swappie. By selling Your Phone, You agree to abide by Swappie’s terms. Swappie may, at its sole discretion, accept or reject the sale.
“Swappie” refers to Swappie Oy (business ID 2692328-4, address Itämerenkatu 3 A, 00180 Helsinki, Finland), a Finnish entity.
“Swappie’s Facilities” refers to Swappie’s facilities at Työpajankatu 13, 00580 Helsinki, Finland.
“You” refers to the seller of the Phone.
“Phone” refers to the item being sold by You to Swappie.
“Terms and Conditions” or “Agreement” refers to these Terms and Conditions.
“Payment” refers to the payment You receive from Swappie for the Phone sold to Swappie.
“Package” refers to the package sent by You to Swappie containing the Phone being sold to Swappie.
“Bank Information” refers to the bank information You provide to Swappie for payment purposes.
“Almost New Phone” refers to the Almost New Phone described in the list under section 3 of this document.
“Broken Phone” refers to the Broken Phone described in the list under section 3 of this document.“
Recyclable Phone” refers to the Recyclable Phone described in the list under section 3 of this document.
1. Acceptance of the Terms and Conditions
By filling in the form and agreeing to Swappie’s Terms and Conditions, You are confirming that:
- You are a private individual based in the EU area
- You are the owner of the Device(s) and have the full right to sell and profit from them
- You are over the required legal age to sell and profit from the Device(s) You attempt to sell to Swappie.com and affiliated websites. If You are under the required legal age, You have obtained Your parent’s or guardian’s consent to sell Your Device(s) to Swappie for the sum estimated on our website;
- You are legally capable of entering into a binding contract;
- You confirm the legitimacy of Your Bank Information. You must bear in mind that You are solely responsible and liable for any mistakes regarding the Bank Information You have provided to Swappie.
- You give Swappie full rights to investigate the Device(s) for any missing parts and or damage. This may require Swappie to physically open the Device(s).
2. Terms of sale
- Sales orders are valid for a maximum of 14 days from the date of submission. After that time, Swappie has the right to update the price in accordance with the current market price changes.
- Once Swappie has received Your Package and after Payment has been made to You, the ownership of the Phone is immediately transferred to Swappie.
- You can cancel the sale at any time before sending the Phone to Swappie.
- Any sale order and shipment made on Swappie’s website using a label provided by Swappie is under Your responsibility until the Package has been delivered to Swappie’s Facilities.
- You are free to choose any other shipping provider at Your own expense.
- You have the responsibility to take care of the content of the Package and its packing.
- Swappie does not take any responsibility if the Package gets lost or damaged during transit to Swappie’s Facilities.
- Swappie does not take any responsibility for accessories nor packaging (eg. original Apple box, cables, cases, etc.) included in the parcel. Swappie automatically discards them and it is impossible to recover them.
- In case there is any issue with the delivery of the Package, Swappie has the option to initiate an investigation on Your behalf directly with the respective shipping company and provide You with further information afterwards.
- Swappie will pay the price estimate if the Phone is in the condition You have stated. If the Phone is in better condition than You have stated, or it contains a larger memory, You may receive a higher Payment. The Payment may also be smaller if the Phone is in worse condition than You have stated. In the latter case, Swappie will send You a confirmation email that You need to approve in order to proceed with the Payment. Otherwise, You can ask to be sent the Phone back for free.
- You have 60 calendar days to respond to Swappie’s confirmation email. After that time, the rights of ownership of the Phone will transfer automatically to Swappie Oy.
- If the Package is not picked up after it has been shipped back to You, and it is returned to Swappie’s Facilities, You are responsible for covering the shipping costs if You ask for the parcel to be shipped back to You again.
- After a Payment has been made, You have released Your rights to claim for any returns or reimbursement. You must bear in mind that You are solely responsible and liable for any mistakes regarding the Bank Information You have provided.
- By accepting the aforementioned clause, Swappie reserves the right to charge any bank investigation fees should You ask for further verification of transactions made to Your account. Fees must be transferred to Swappie’s bank account before Swappie proceeds with any investigation-related procedures.
- Applicable only to Phones sold directly to Swappie’s store locations in the Finnish market: The maximum number of devices that can be sold by an individual seller is 5 Phones every 3 months.
- If You’re willing to sell more than 5 Phones at the same time, Swappie reserves the right to ask for further details regarding the ownership of the Phones.
Swappie occasionally accepts intact unlisted models. In these cases, please contact us by filling in our contact form.
3. Condition of the Phone
- The paid price for the Phone is based on the Phone’s model, memory and condition. Swappie tests all the Phones with industry-leading software.
- Swappie does not buy Phones that are water damaged, bent, have problems suggestive of motherboard issues, have a faulty Touch ID, have the FMI (Find My iPhone) feature on, have non-functional Face ID or True Tone, have an irreparable crack in the Home button, Phones that have been manufactured for Japan, China or Middle Eastern countries, or Phones that have been previously disassembled and reassembled with non-original Apple spare parts.
- Swappie does not buy stolen Phones. We will check the legal status of the Phone from the internationally compiled CheckMEND database. Phones that are discovered to be Blacklisted will be automatically returned to You (Exceptions, Section 1).
- The Phone must be an original Apple product.
Requirements of an Almost New Phone
- All the features of an Almost New Phone must be fully functional.
- The body of the Phone must be intact and not cracked or showing any signs of use.
- All intact Phones must adhere to the following criteria:
- The Phone must turn on and off normally.
- The Phone has a battery, and back cover/glass with no scratches.
- The Phone must not be water or fire damaged.
- The screen must be intact and fully functional, and it must not contain cracks, any bright spots, darker areas or other colour blotches.
- The Phone must not be bent.
- The Phone must have all original parts in it.
- The Phone’s biometric sensor (Touch ID / Face ID) must work.
- The screen glass, frame and touch screen sensor are intact.
- The display frame must correspond to the original, e.g., a model of a particular colour must have a display matching that colour.
- If one or more of these requirements are not met, the updated price offer may decrease from the original price offer.
Definition of a Broken Phone
The screen glass and/or touch screen is broken or the display has dead pixels. In addition, the Phone may also have other faults from the following list:
- A faulty battery (the Phone does not turn on).
- If the battery has been replaced by a third party in models XR, XS and above, the Phone will be automatically graded as ‘“Recyclable”.
- The Phone’s screen is loose.
- There is no sound coming from the speakers or when an AUX plug is connected to the Phone.
- One or more of the microphones do not work.
- The home, volume, mute, or power button does not work or works poorly.
- The front camera does not work or works poorly.
- The back camera does not work or works poorly (focus issues, shakiness, or visible dark spots in the rear lens).
- The rear or front camera lens is cracked.
- The proximity sensor does not work.
- The back glass and/or frame is cracked.
- There is a software error showing on the “Hello” screen (iTunes won’t connect to the Phone or reset factory settings).
- The charging port is faulty (the Phone does not charge or the port is loose/ malformed).
- The Phone does not recognise SIM cards.
- The vibration does not work.
- The Phone has missing parts.
- The force touch feature does not work.
- The camera flash does not work.
- The Phone is able to charge, but it does not connect to a computer (“No data” fault).
- If the replacement screen of the Phone does not meet Swappie’s standards or is not an original.
Note! Even if the Phone is completely broken, it may still have a sale value if the motherboard is undamaged.
Definition of a Recyclable Phone
By default, a Phone that cannot be categorised in any of the aforementioned condition categories will fall into the category of Recyclable. If the Phone is unrepairable, Swappie can either send it back to You free of charge or give You the option to accept 5€ to recycle the Phone with Swappie.
More specifically, if the Phone presents one or more of the following faults, it will automatically be graded as Recyclable:
- The Phone shows problems suggestive of motherboard issues:
- The Phone has a “CallFail” message,
- The Phone does not connect to the network (WiFi).
- The Phone does not record audio files in any format.
- The “No service” message on the cellular indicator is showing permanently.
- The Phone has non-functional GPS / Compass (“Gyro”).
- If the battery is replaced by a third party in models XR, XS and above and displays the“Important Battery Message”.
- The Phone is water damaged.
- The Phone is bent.
- The Phone has a non-functional Touch ID, Face ID or True Tone.
- Bluetooth does not work.
- For iPhone models 11 and above, if the screen is not original and shows the “Important Display Message”.
- Wireless charging does not work.
- The Home button is cracked.
- The Phone is operator locked. Operator-locked Phones cannot be purchased by Swappie. Swappie can offer €5 to recycle them. Swappie cannot act on Your behalf and contact the operator in order to unlock the Phone, due to Swappie’s GDPR agreement.
- The Phone has been manufactured for Japan, China or Middle Eastern countries.
- The Phone is an iPhone 7 Model A1660.
For iPhone models 6s Plus, SE (2016), 6s and below, Swappie does not offer any compensation, regardless of the state of the Phone.
- Blacklisted Phones
If the Phone is found to have a record that indicates it has been lost or stolen, or Swappie becomes aware of any other issues related to its ownership (e.g. Blacklisted), Swappie will notify You by email and quarantine the Phone for an initial period of 14 days (“the Quarantine Period”). Payment for the Phone will be withheld by Swappie until the CheckMEND record does not show the Phone as stolen or lost.
In such circumstances ,You will be required to contact the seller, the store, the carrier provider or the third party that sold You the Phone to prove that You are the rightful owner of the Phone, have the lost or stolen records associated with it cleared within the Quarantine Period, and resolve any other issues relating to its ownership.
If during the Quarantine Period the Phone is cleared in the CheckMEND database and any other issues related to ownership have been resolved, Your sale will be processed and paid for as normal.
However, if the Phone is not cleared in the CheckMEND database within the Quarantine Period, Swappie will either hold onto the mobile Phone or device, hand it over to the police or other law enforcement body, dispose of it or return it directly to You, and by entering into this contract, You expressly agree to this action. You will not receive any Payment if such steps are taken.
Swappie cannot under any circumstances pay for a Phone which is lost, stolen or recorded as such unless endorsed in writing by CheckMEND and by such You agree to pay any return costs involved.
If You have received Payment from Swappie for a Phone, which Swappie subsequently becomes aware of an issue relating to ownership, You agree to immediately reimburse Swappie in full, within 3 business days following a written request by Swappie, for any such payment pending an investigation by Swappie or any law enforcement body into the ownership of the Phone.
If Swappie at any time becomes aware of any issues relating to the ownership of the Phone, You agree to cooperate with Swappie fully with a view to resolving the issue. This may or may not require contact with the police and/or other law enforcement authorities.
- MDM (Mobile Device Management) locked Phones
MDM-locked Phones refer to the condition of a mobile device that is corporate-owned and is monitored and managed by corporate security software, normally a company or corporation. MDM-locked devices cannot be purchased by Swappie under any circumstances, because You do not own the rights to sell or profit from the device. The device will be directly sent back to You on Swappie’s account. However, should there be any reasonable doubt that You knew about the status of the Phone when submitting the order, Swappie reserves the right to charge You for the delivery costs.
- You must fill in all the required details in the online sales form for Swappie to make the Payment within the promised time frame.
- Swappie aims to process the Payment within 1–4 days after the Phone has arrived at Swappie’s Facilities. However, Swappie’s checking process may be affected by unexpected circumstances which may delay the process by a few days.
- Once the payment has been forwarded, the seller has released their rights to pursue any claims regarding the ownership of the device. Any refunds or further compensation need to be addressed by contacting Swappie’s Customer Service. Note that Swappie holds the right to decline refunds or compensation claims afterwards.
- You must promptly inform Swappie’s Customer Service of any irregularities regarding the Payment:
- Should Swappie mistakenly pay You more than agreed, You must pay back the difference from the original amount within 7 days after the Payment was made.
- Swappie has the right to claim the overpaid funds and take further legal action if the situation so requires, should the amount be not transferred back to Swappie’s account in the agreed timeframe.
You have the right to contact Swappie at any time should there be any issues regarding the Agreement between You and Swappie. If You are unable to download the shipping label, or if You experience any other problems, please contact our customer service at [email protected] or +353 1 903 8690 (Local charges apply. International charges are applied if calling from a different country).